Unique PhD Opportunities
SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE GENETIC & FIELD TECHNOLOGIES FOR FUTURE CROPS
- Join the revolution in creating and deploying new technologies for the Agri-Tech sector.
- Help drive translation of breakthroughs in advanced breeding, phenotyping and genetic technologies into higher-yielding crops.
- Be part of a new R&D capability to drive growth, productivity and competitiveness for the benefit of agriculture and global food security.
The ARC Training Centre for Future Crops Development has been established to train a new generation of researchers and leaders to build new capabilities for agriculture.
Commencing in 2022, the Centre will train PhD students and early-career researchers in new Agri-technologies and in analysing socio-economic opportunities.
Students will have opportunities to engage with industry partners and communities on projects to improve the yield and nutritional value of the crops that underpin the energy and protein content of the human diet.
The Centre will build future R&D capabilities in the Agrifood sector to drive growth, productivity and competitiveness for the benefit of agriculture and global food security.
A Unique Opportunity for Students
Major advances in gene-editing and synthetic biology (SynBio) are set to revolutionise agriculture.
Over 20 generous full and top-up scholarships for PhD projects are available for both international and domestic students.
This Training Centre is offering a wide range of PhD student projects to equip the next generation of researchers to apply innovative genetic, machine learning and analytical technologies to crop development – whilst evaluating these innovations against socio-economic, regulatory and market drivers to maximise their adoption and to transform the industry.
Alongside our PhD opportunities, we offer first-of-a-kind training programs that will build national capability for successfully applying new genetic and analytical technologies to accelerate crop improvement for industry growth.
Be part of an enduring community of best practice
We will build an enduring community of best practice via innovative mentoring and professional development programs that champion diversity and inclusion.
Study and Network with Academics, Government and Industry
This Centre is a collaboration of universities, government research agencies and the Australian grains sector’s key stakeholders in training, R&D, social engagement, responsible innovation, breeding, marketing and delivery.
We also have international partners in gene-editing, SynBio, crop breeding, and, other partnerships for co-developing deep technologies to transform the agriculture industry and global food security.
PhD Research Program Areas
Program 1 is our training program. Programs 2 – 4 are our research programs.
- Program 2:
Benchmark technologies against responsible innovation, consumer perceptions, market accessibility, and industry engagement. MORE
- Program 3B
SynBio applications to improve quality traits, yield and productivity of major Australian crop species. and industry engagement. MORE
Special PhD Features to Kickstart Your Career in Industry
- Industry placements – Minimum one-year placement in industry, government, and international partners with access to potential employers and industry-wide networks.
- An above award student stipend of $34,938 AUD (2022 ARC stipend rate) per annum for 3.5 years. Over 20 full and top-up scholarships for PhD projects are available for both international and domestic students.
- Diverse PhD supervisor panels, encompassing leaders from university, industry and government.
- Training courses with micro-credentials to upskill in responsible innovation, regulatory landscape, public policy, crop stewardship, and intellectual property management.
- Be part of a group of PhD students with related and complementary projects encompassing plant and social sciences.
- A choice of study at The Australian National University in Canberra, or University of Adelaide in South Australia, or a combination of both.
Questions? Simply email us and we’ll get back to you.